Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Rice and Beans

Here is another recipe that I made with the intention of placing it in the freezer for post-baby days. Again, it came from the book, Frozen Assets: Cook for a Day, Eat for a Month.

Rice and Beans - modified from Frozen Assets
2 cans beans (or 4 cups dried, cooked) - I used 2 cups black beans, and 2 cups kidney beans
2 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 red onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 cups long grain brown rice, uncooked
4 cups chunky salsa (any heat)
3 cups tomato juice
1 T cumin
1 T oregano
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated

1. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except cheese.

2. Pour into 3 8x8 freezer safe casserole dishes (I use disposable tin foil dishes).

3. Cover and bake at 375 for 1-1 1/2 hours until the rice is cooked and most of the liquid is absorbed.

4. Let cool. Label and freeze. Optional: you can divide the cheese into small freezer bags now and freeze it attached to the casseroles or you can just grate and add the cheese when you serve the dish, which is what I choose to do.

TO SERVE:

Thaw in refrigerator. Sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese. Reheat at 350 for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and beans and rice is heated through.

Makes 3 8x8 casseroles (about 4-5 servings each).

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks delicious. I just put this book on my queue at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving this portion of your blog. I'm expecting also and will be using these recipes for sure. Great... keep'em comin' :)Thank you.

    ReplyDelete