Thursday, December 10, 2009

Ginger Beets and Carrots

If you haven't figured it out by now, I love me some roasted veggies. I'm a huge fan of vegetables - there aren't many that I don't like (thanks to my mom, I think). I've still got a bunch of beets and carrots from a really great sale a while back so last night I mixed them together for this warm, wintery side dish.

Ginger Beets and Carrots
4 large beets
6-8 large carrots
Garlic Powder
Salt
Pepper
Ground Ginger

1. Wash and trim beets well. Although most recipes call for peeling the beets, it's not necessary when roasting them because they get very soft. Just make sure you scrub them good. I find it's so much easier not peeling them - because that can get quite messy. Cut into quarters. Arrange on a cookie sheet lined with foil. Season with salt and pepper. Close foil around beets to form a pouch. Roast at 425 for 35-45 minutes, until beets are beginning to soften.

2. Meanwhile, peel and cut carrots. I decided to cut them lengthwise, but next time, I would cut them the same shape and size as the beets.

3. When beets are beginning to soften, remove from oven, discard foil and add carrots to the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat. Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, pepper and ginger. Return to oven and cook for 20-30 minutes, until both carrots and beets are soft.

Serve immediately. In the photos my veggies look a bit shriveled because I was waiting for SOMEONE (no names) to get home so we could eat up. I served with teryaki pork chops and twice baked sweet potatoes (recipe coming tomorrow).

Makes 2-3 large servings.

1 comment:

  1. what wonderful color combination with the purple and orange ... not to mention delicious and healthy too!

    ReplyDelete