Monday, July 20, 2009

Sesame Chicken Salad

Tonight, chili was on the menu. But, when the fabulous dude arrived home from work and asked what was for supper, I received a "ughh" in response when I told him. Normally, I would say suck it up Sally, and serve the chili anyways, but I wasn't really in the mood for it either. It was frozen from last time we had this exact same experience, so it will just be saved for yet another day. I had to act fast and decide what we would have instead. I decided to stick with a light, summery dinner because it was a hot day today.

Sesame Chicken Salad
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken (I had some BBQ chicken cut up in the freezer)
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup thai chili sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame seeds
Fresh garden salad (with the fixin's of your choice - ours included romaine lettuce, cucs and beet tops from the garden, tomatoes, green onions, green pepper and carrots)

1. Place chicken in a frying pan with a light drizzle of olive oil. Sautee until warm.

2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine hoisin sauce, thai chili sauce and soy sauce.

3. Pour sauce over chicken and stir to combine. Add sesame seeds. Reduce heat to low until heated through.

4. Divide garden salad into serving size of your choice. Top with chicken.

Serves 4. (Although I divided the chicken in two, there definitely would have been enough to cover 4 dinner sized salads).

This is a really yummy salad. In fact, I got so excited while making it that I forgot to keep taking pictures. It's a shame really, because it was quite pretty and colourful in the end. I guess I will just have to make it again so I can take photos.

There is no need for dressing on this salad. The sauce on the chicken is very flavourful and blends well with the vegetables. The husband was raving about this meal. And, if you know my husband, it takes a LOT to make him rave about a meal that does not include meat and potatoes.

You could also serve the sesame chicken over rice as a main dish, if you'd prefer.

This recipe is being shared at Tempt my Tummy Tuesday

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea and quick thinking solution to the dinner blahs! Thanks for linking up to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments on my slow cooker recipe :) I am glad you agree that it is indeed considered cooking. I look forward to following more of your recipe updates.
    Blessings to you,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks easy! We eat lots of salads in the summer.

    ReplyDelete