Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Pumpkin-Pie Apple Muffins

The Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook is one of my most trusted sources for new recipes. I have the Special Edition Breast Cancer Awareness copy and so there is a section in the back called "Eating for Life" that includes recipes with ingredients that are said to reduce risk. If you don't own a copy of this cookbook and are the least bit inclined to ever step foot into a kitchen, you really should own it.

I was flipping through the other day and come across this muffin recipe that I thought sounded absolutely wonderful. They are delicious! The smell while they are baking is tantalizing. This is fall in a muffin.

Pumpkin Pie Apple Muffins - slightly modified from Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook
1 cup unbleached white flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice**
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup pureed pumpkin
1/2 cup applesauce
2 eggs
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup milk
1 T cooking oil
1 T applesauce
1/2 cup peeled and finely chopped apple (about 1 small apple)
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds

**If you don't have pumpkin pie spice mix together 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger, 1/8 tsp allspice and 1/8 tsp nutmeg for 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice.

1. Combine flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Make a well in the center of the bowl.

2. In a separate bowl combine pumpkin, applesauce, eggs, brown sugar, milk, and oil. Whisk until well combined.
3. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients. Mix until just combined but batter is still lumpy.

4. Fold in apples and pumpkin seeds.
5. Spoon batter into greased muffin tins, filling 3/4 of the way full. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.

Makes 12 delicious muffins!

This recipe is being shared at Tasty Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! I can smell them cooking from here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look wonderful! I love all things pumpkin. I too have this edition of the BH&G and I really recommend it also.

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh yummy!! Those look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a GREAT!!! muffin. I guess it's muffin season so many YUMMY!!! recipes. I love to make muffins so my husband and kids can take with them in the morning, THANKS!!! for the new recipe. Geri

    ReplyDelete