Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Corn and Chicken Chowder

I know it is the middle of the summer and chowder isn't really a token summer meal but, for the past few weeks, a little voice inside my head has been begging and screaming for corn chowder. I have learned that when this voice screams at me, I had better oblige. So, since the heat let up a bit this week, I made corn chowder. And the little voice thanked me.

Corn and Chicken Chowder
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp EVOO
2 cups chicken broth
1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
3 cups frozen corn
1 cup cooked chicken, chopped
1 1/2 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups milk
Shredded cheese, optional

1. In a large saucepan, cook onion, pepper and garlic in oil until onion is tender.

2. Stir in chicken broth and potato. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

3. Stir in corn and chicken. Replace lid and cook for another 10 minutes, until potatoes are soft.

4. Meanwhile, combine flour, salt and pepper. Add milk and whisk together.

5. Add milk mixture to saucepan. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, until soup is thick and bubbly.

6. Sprinkle each bowl with cheese, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment