Monday, January 18, 2010

Hashbrown Casserole

My hubby loves hashbrown casserole and requested it last week. Most recpies that I have come across in the past use sour cream and cream soups. I certainly do enjoy this type of casserole but I didn't have any sour cream and I was hoping to find a variation on this dish that would be lower fat. I did some searching and found this recipe and decided to give it a shot. I enjoyed it alright, although the FD wondered aloud (a number of times) why I didn't just stick with the normal recipe. Ah, men. It is definitely different than the traditional hash brown casserole, so don't make it expecting the same deal - but it served it's purpose as a tasty, lighter side dish.

Hashbrown Casserole
- modified from a recipe found here
4 cups frozen hashbrowns, thawed
1/2 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup diced sweet onion
1/4 cup beef stock
1/2 cup skim milk
1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar
Salt and Pepper to taste

1. Melt butter in a skillet. Saute onion until browned.

2. Mix all ingredients (reserve 1/2 cup cheese) well and pour into a pie plate or small casserole dish that has been sprayed with Pam.

3. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over top.

4. Bake, uncovered, at 400* until lightly browned, about 40 minutes.

Makes 4-6 servings.

3 comments:

  1. that looks like a great "boy" meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks very delicious!

    Every time I make frozen hash brown I always burn it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE HASHBROWN CASSEROLE AND I REALLY WANT TO EAT THIS RIGHT NOW.

    ReplyDelete