Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Old-Fashioned Meatloaf

This week's chefs for the Food Network Cooking Challenge were Bobby and Jamie Deen but since they don't have recipes posted, I just stuck with good ol' Paula. My hubby is a huge meat and potatoes kind of guy, so while browsing through her recipes I decided to make old-fashioned meatloaf for him. You know what they say? The way to man's heart is through his tummy. Sorry about the poor photos on this post - I think the icing issue with my camera is starting to be a problem.

The original recipe is listed below with my changes in italics.

Old-Fashioned Meatloaf - from Paula Deen
1 pound ground beef (I used 1.5 lb ground venison)
1 1/4 teaspoons salt (I used 3/4 tsp and I still felt like it was too salty)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion (1 small onion)
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (1 small pepper)
1 egg, lightly beaten
8 ounces canned diced tomatoes with juice (I used the first can of my homemade diced tomatoes, but next time I would drain the juice - it was too runny)
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats (I used between 3/4-1 cup)
I also added:
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T Worcestershire sauce

Topping:
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon prepared mustard (I used MUCH less, just a tiny squeeze)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. (I did 400). Mix all meatloaf ingredients well and place in a loaf pan.

Mix ingredients for topping and spread on loaf. Bake for 1 hour (mine took 1.5 hours to be done).

I served with roasted potatoes and green beans. This made 4-5 servings for us.

I didn't mind this recipe, although I think I like my other meatloaf recipe from my mom better. With the tomatoes in the loaf and the ketchup on top, I found it too tomato-y. I also thought it was too salty. The FD thought it was delicious.

8 comments:

  1. I like meatloaf but the rest of the family does not. Leftovers make great sandwiches! I can see how this one might be too much tomato. Thanks for posting your recipe. Can't wait to see what you pick next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The addition of tomatoes inside the meatloaf is new to me as well... I think the ketchup mixture on the top is always my favorite part and wouldn't want to take away from that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we haven't had meatloaf in ages -- I do like the addition of the veggies ... but, not sure about the tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love meatloaf also, seems like using all the tomatoes would make the loaf very moist, but also tomato-y.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I haven't made meatloaf in forever. Sounds delicious!

    XO*T

    P.S. Your "roughing it" night at the cabin made me laugh. My dad has a cabin exactly like that and I always feel the same way. It's very sweet and quiet, but I need a few things, like plumbing and running water. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think everyone has a meatloaf recipe so, it's hard when you try someone else's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucy,
    Please visit my blog to receive your NEW AWARD!!! follow the directions and share it with others.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made this last week. How awesome!! Loved it. It is my family's new meatloaf go to. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete