Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Whole Grain Bread

This is a very important post! Why? Because this bread is officially the first thing that I used my kitchenaid stand mixer to make!

This is the first bread recipe I've found that uses entirely whole wheat flour and it is great! I was expecting it to be extremely dense and while I wouldn't exactly say it was light and fluffy - it definitely wasn't too dense.

Whole Grain Wheat Bread - from KitchenAid Stand Mixer Recipe Booklet
1/3 cup, plus 1 T brown sugar, divided
2 cups warm water
4 1/2 tsp yeast (2 pkg)
5-6 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup powdered milk
2 tsp salt
1/3 cup oil

1. Dissolve 1 T brown sugar in water. Add yeast and let mixture stand.

2. Place 4 C flour, powdered milk, remaining brown sugar, and salt in mixer. Mix for about 2 minutes on low speed (2). Gradually add yeast mixture and oil to flour mixture and mix about 1 1/2 minutes longer. Stop and scrape bowl, if necessary.

3. Continuing on low speed, add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix until dough clings to hook and cleans side of bowl, about two minutes. **I ended up using about 5 3/4 cups flour, all together. Knead on low (2) for about 2 more minutes.

4. Place dough in a large greased bowl, tuning to grease top. Cover. Let rise for about an hour, until doubled.

5. Punch dough down and divide in half. Shape and place into two greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise for another hour, until doubled.

6. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 and continue baking for 30 minutes. Remove loaves from pans and let cool on wire cooling rack.

Makes 2 loaves.

This recipe is being linked at Tasty Tuesday, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Tuesday's at the Table, and the Ultimate Recipe Swap

8 comments:

  1. what a cool gift that mixer looks wonderful. The bread does too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bread looks beautiful. Enjoy that mixer :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didnt get a kitchenaid mixer but I cannot wait to use my standing mixer has the option to be standing one or hand held one hope it works well :D and i have a bread machine now im excited woohoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always looking for new bread recipes - thanks! Love making bread!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bread looks wonderful and I am SO JEALOUS of your Kitchenaid Mixer! :-)
    Thanks for linking to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you love, love, love your mixer? I use mine for everything I can think of.

    ReplyDelete