Saturday, September 12, 2009

Tomato-Basil Fettuccine with Meatballs

When I made the meatball recipe from the Kraft What's Cooking magazine, I liked the look of one of their ideas for how to serve the meatballs so I based this meal on their recipe for tomato-basil cream sauce.

Tomato-Basil Fettuccine with Meatballs - modified from Kraft What's Cooking
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
2 carrots, finely chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cups pasta sauce
1 cup diced tomatoes
1/2 cup light cream cheese
1/2 T dried basil
1/2 T minced onion
Fettuccine
Meatballs

1. In a large stockpot, cook vegetables in oil until soft. Remove from pot, set aside.

2. Add pasta sauce, cream cheese and spices to the pot. Cook until cream cheese is melted and well incorporated. I would suggest cutting the cream cheese into chunks before adding it. It took mine a long time to melt and as you'll see in the photos, there were still little globs of it in the sauce. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.

3. Once sauce is smooth, return vegetables to the pot.

4. Add warm meatballs (I used 15). Stir to evenly coat.

Serve over fettuccine and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

This fed the two of us for dinner once and then the hubby took it in his lunch the following two days. So, I'd say it makes 4 servings. However, I doubled the original sauce recipe because I was adding the veggies and the original recipe only had meatballs. This probably wasn't necessary. As you can see, there was tons of sauce. I could have added twice as many veggies and meatballs and still had enough sauce to cover it.

1 comment:

  1. Delicious! I saw that recipe too -- too bad Frog Prince doesn't like cream cheese that much. Maybe the next time he's gone I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete