Since cherries are in season and I live on a cherry farm, you will likely see a lot of cherry stuff happening around here over the next few weeks. Earlier this week, I stumbled across a great blog: Loving My Domestic Life. She had a recipe for cherry muffins posted and so I decided to give them a whirl.
Cherry (Chocolate Chip) Muffins - modified ever so slightly from Loving My Domestic Life
1/8 cup butter, melted
1/8 cup applesauce
1 cup milk (I used dry milk powder mixed with water)
1 egg (or egg substitute)
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cherries, pitted and quartered
1/8 cup chocolate chips (optional)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Beat butter, applesauce, milk and egg in large bowl.
2. In another bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. Add pitted, quartered cherries to flour and stir until coated.
4. Add flour and cherry mixture to wet ingredients. Stir until flour is just moistened.
5. Divide batter into greased muffin cups. I put batter into 6 of the cups and then folded the chocolate chips into the remaining batter to have half chocolate chip and half plain.
4. Mix cinnamon and brown sugar in a small bowl and sprinkle onto of muffins if desired. I made half the amount of topping and only sprinkled it on the non-chocolate chip muffins.
4. Bake for about 18-22 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Makes 12 muffins.
The verdict: These just might be the very best muffins I've ever made. If you are a cherry lover or are a lover of a cherry lover, you must make these muffins. Promise me that if you do, you will heat them up just a bit before eating to melt the chocolate and make them ooey gooey!