Thursday, November 12, 2009

Root Vegetable Soup

Last week, while I was visiting my parents, I made a pot of soup for us to have for lunch and for my mama to have for leftovers over the next couple days. It was a definite "use what's kicking around" type of soup but it turned out to be delicious.

Root Vegetable Soup
1 onion, chopped
4-5 carrots, chopped
1 cup turnip, chopped
2 parsnips, chopped
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 pkg onion soup mix
4-6 cups water
2-3 tsp boullion powder (beef or chicken would be fine)
3/4 cup red lentils, rinsed and soaked
1 tsp Italian seasoning
Salt
Pepper

1. Place chopped veggies in a large stock pot.

2. Add onion soup mix, boullion and spices.

3. Stir in tomatoes, lentils and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2-2 hours, until veggies and lentils are tender.

Garnish with shredded cheese. Makes about 8-10 servings.

3 comments:

  1. Just letting you know your blog has made me want to get a bread machine! and my Sister is giving me hers for free she said she got it for a gift only used it like 4 times and it sits in her cupboard so its my christmas gift woohooo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A GREAT!!! soup to go with one of your GREAT!!! breads.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!

    I wanted to let you know that I did a test run of crock pot apple butter last week and it turned out well. I hope to make a bigger batch and some applesauce next week. I just had to pick up one of those peeler thingies that you slide on your finger first. My hand was killing me!

    ReplyDelete