My last shot at Apple Muffins didn't turn out so well. At first I thought they were alright but after eating a few, I realized they were gross. Even the dog wasn't eager to eat them and considering I found her eating mouthfuls of flour that I spilled on the floor yesterday, that is a very bad sign. Like I mentioned when I posted the first apple muffin recipe, my mom makes these absolutely delicious apple muffins but when I asked her, she couldn't find the book that she has the recipe in. So, this whole issue I'm having here is pretty much her fault.
I made some adjustments to the recipe and here I am trying again...
Applesauce Granola Muffins
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup oats
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 heaping tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 large apple, peeled, cored and finely diced
1/4 cup applesauce
1 cup milk (I used 1/4 cup dry milk powder mixed with water to make one cup)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup granola
1 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1. Combine flour, oats, baking powder, salt, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Stir well.
2. Add apples. Stir to coat.
3. Add applesauce, milk, egg and vanilla. Stir to moisten but do not over mix.
4. In a small bowl, combine granola, brown sugar and cinnamon.
5. Drop batter into prepared muffin tins (greased or lined). Sprinkle with topping.
5. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Makes 12 muffins.
The verdict? They are definitely better this time yet still not perfect. I just made them last night and so far 5 of them are gone so I guess they can't be that bad. They still feel a bit heavy and maybe too dry. Perhaps I'm just not a muffin maker ...