Friday, July 3, 2009

Tortillas - #2

I have been working on revising my tortilla recipe and I think I (might) have finally got it just the way I want it. After an unfortunate mishap involving a 14 L tub of flour, my kitchen floor, a few not-so-nice words, a photo, a broom and my dog eating mouthfuls of flour...

I managed to get a batch of tortillas made.

Tortillas Take Two

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cup warm water

1. Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl.

2. Add oil and mix until dough is crumbly.

3. Add water, starting with one cup until dough holds together and is slightly sticky. Do not dry out the dough.

4. Knead for 3-4 minutes until the dough forms a ball. Cover and let rest for 15-30 minutes.

5. Pull small portions of dough off (about the size of a golf ball or slightly larger). Roll into a ball, covering with flour.

6. Using a rolling pin, roll out as thin as possible. Each time you flip the dough over to roll the opposite side, try to stretch it as much as possible. If the dough is bouncing back, let it rest longer. If you are like me and find it impossible to roll dough into a smooth circle, you may want to try using a plastic lid from a mixing bowl or ice cream container to shape the tortillas.

7. Place on pre-heated griddle for 2-3 minutes per side, until slightly brown. Do not make them crispy or they won't roll up.

Makes 10-12. I say 10-12 because I usually get 11 out of the batch and when I do get 12, the last one usually looks like this....

I find whole wheat tortillas are best if they are made ahead of time, frozen and then thawed before use. If you try to use them immediately after cooking them on the griddle, they may be too toasty to roll. I try to make them when I have a spare minute, even if they aren't on the menu so that I have some in the freezer for the times when I need them.

This recipe is being shared at the GCC Recipe Swap.

1 comment:

  1. those look great and tasty -- even the misshapen one :)

    sorry about the flour -- that must not have been fun.

    ReplyDelete