Tuesday, January 26, 2010

PestoTomato Chicken Rotini

This was a use up what's in the house kind of meal and it turned out fabulously. I love the combination of tomato sauce and pesto together. The only thing I would change would be to drain some of the juice off the tomatoes because the sauce was quite runny.

Pesto Tomato Chicken Rotini
340 g tri color rotini (or any other kind of short pasta)
3-4 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 red onion, chopped
8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
1-2 bell peppers, chopped
3-4 cups cooked chicken breast, chopped
1 large can diced tomatoes, with some juice drained
1 cup tomato sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons prepared pesto
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1-1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese

1. Bring water and salt to a boil and cook pasta until just not quite cooked. During the last 3-4 minutes of cooking time, add the carrots to the pasta water to begin softening them. Drain pasta and return to pot.

2. Add remaining ingredients, except cheddar cheese, and stir well to combine.

3. Transfer to a 2.5 qt casserole dish. Top with shredded cheese.

4. Cover and bake for 30-40 minutes at 350. Uncover, bake an additional 10 minutes until cheese is browned.

Makes 5-6 servings.

This recipe is being shared at Tasty Tuesday, Tuesday's at the Table and Tempt my Tummy Tuesday.

4 comments:

  1. What a YUMMY!!! and COLORFUL!!! recipe;
    Come by and visit so you can enter my GREAT!!! giveaway for a waffle maker.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks wonderful, my friend. and, now that I have a recipe for no-nut pesto I can enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when a "use up what I have" recipe turns out to be a real winner. Good job! The pasta looks great. Thanks for linking your post to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete