Saturday, June 13, 2009

Applesauce

Applesauce is a yummy treat and also an excellent substitute for oil in many recipes. I had a pile of apples that were coming near to the end of their life and so after my baking fest, I used the remaining apples to make sauce. It is easy and quick and can be adapted to work with few or many apples.

Applesauce
8-10 large apples, peeled, cored and sliced
Water
Cinnamon
Brown Sugar

1. Place apples in medium saucepan. As you can see, this is almost too many apples for this size but I was stubborn and refused to get out my big stockpot.

2. Cover apples with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and boil for 15-20 minutes, until apples are soft.

3. Drain water from apples. Return to pot. Add cinnamon and brown sugar, to taste. I added about 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp brown sugar. Since I will be using this applesauce mainly for baking, I did not want it to be overly sweet. If you want to use the sauce for eating, you may want to add more sugar.

4. Allow applesauce to cool. Freeze in 1 cup portions for future use.

Makes about 4 cups.

3 comments:

  1. i read this just as i was finishing off my store bought apple sauce. if i find a good deal on apples toward the end of the season im gonna make me some sauce :)

    thanks for the easy recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made some good applesauce a few years ago- but yours looks mighty tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to eat this right now!

    ReplyDelete