Monday, March 30, 2009

Mocha Bagels

When I did my menu plan this morning, a few people asked me to share the Mocha Bagel recipe. So, here it is...

Mocha Bagels - modified slightly from America's Best Bread Machine Baking Recipes (I know the link shows Canada's best, but my copy says America's Best)
P.S. THE best bread machine recipe book. If you are a bread maker, you should get it.

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups water
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp coffee granules
2 tsp yeast
1/2 cup chocolate chips

1. Measure all ingredients, except chocolate chips, into bread pan. I put everything in in the order listed. Select dough cycle.

2. Add chocolate chips at add ingredient signal.


3. When cycle is complete, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
4. Separate dough into 8-10 equal chunks.

5. Roll each chunk into a 12'' rope.

6. Dip ends of each rope into warm water and press ends together to form bagel.

7. Place dough on baking stone, cover and let rise for 45 minutes or until doubled.

4. Bring a large pot of water and 1/2 tbsp sugar to a boil. Immerse bagels in water for 20 seconds, until dough becomes puffy. Place boiled bagels on a wire rack to drain off.

5. Place on baking stone and bake at 400 for 15-25 minutes, until bagels sound hollow when tapped.
The verdict - they are pretty good. They were my best bagels yet in terms of size, shape, and texture. I think I would like to try them again and mix/knead them by hand rather than with the machine. When you add chocolate chips at the add ingredient cycle, they melt and the dough turns brown (as you could see). I think I would have liked them better if they were coffee flavored bagels with whole chocolate chips in them. Also, the coffee flavor wasn't strong enough for me. I don't drink coffee, but I do like the flavor. The recipe said instead of using granules, you can also replace the water with cold brewed coffee. I think I will try that next time but I didn't have any coffee brewed at the time. If anyone else bakes them, please let me know if you do anything differently and how they turn out.

1 comment:

  1. These look great!
    In fact, you've got lots of great looking recipes! I stumbled on you from blessedwithgrace -glad I did! :-)

    ReplyDelete