Monday, December 14, 2009

Mom Saver Breakfast Casserole

When I became a part of the Cramp family, I was introduced to Breakfast casseroles as a part of Christmas. His mom makes two different varieties - a meaty one and a blueberry one (which I have never made). The reason we call this Mom Saver Breakfast Casserole or Christmas Morning Casserole is that it can be put together the night before which means that "Mom" (or wife, or aunt, or dad, or whoever) only has to pop it into the oven in the morning. It makes for a much more relaxing Christmas morning, that's for sure!

For his family Christmas this weekend, I made two breakfast casseroles. One I did the traditional way that his mom make and one I spruced up a bit with some veggies.

I wasn't able to get any pictures. My camera batteries were charged in preparation for the weekend when I was putting it together and well, although it might be the Mom Saver Casserole because it allows you to get the most of the work done the night before, it is not that big of a saver and I was still going crazy trying to get everything ready in the morning. Hence, no photo. Except one of my FD enjoying the finished product.

Mom Saver Breakfast Casserole AKA Christmas Morning Casserole
5-6 slices whole wheat bread
1 lb sausage
1-2 tsp dried mustard
1 cup grated cheese (a mixture of mozzarella and old cheddar is the best)
6 eggs
1 3/4 cup milk
Pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Optional:
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1/2 onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped

1. If using, sautee mushrooms, onions and peppers until soft. Remove from pan and set aside

2. Remove casings from sausage. Crumble cook until no longer pink. Remove and set aside.

3. Cut crusts off of bread. Arrange in the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan OR grease 18 muffin tins and cut bread to fit individual muffin cups.

4. Spread sausage evenly over bread. Sprinkle with dry mustard.

5. Top with sauteed vegetables, if desired.

6. Sprinkle cheese over top.

7. Combine remaining ingredients (eggs, milk, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce) and pour over casserole.

8. Chill for up to 24 hours. Bake at 375 for approximately one hour, until eggs are set (baking time is reduced to 20-25 minutes if using muffin cups).

5 comments:

  1. Wow this sounds great!!


    Just wanted to let you know I am hosting a Holiday Treats week this week and will be posting a new recipe everyday, hope you stop by to check it out and maybe link up some of your holiday treats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually curious to what the blueberry one is like as well. I never thought to have a sweet and savory option for christmas breakfast. That is smart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumm-o. I definitely plan on making this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FInally making this!!! Making brunch for the in-laws tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete