Friday, October 30, 2009

Cabbage Soup

This soup reminds me of my Grandma K. Is it because it's her recipe? I'm not even really sure. For some reason, the smell and taste of it just makes me think of sitting at her kitchen table. Not a bad memory, at all.

Cabbage Soup
1/2 lb ground meat
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3-4 carrots, chopped
3-4 stalks celery, chopped
2-3 medium potatoes, cubed
4 cups stock (beef or chicken - I used chicken)
1/4 cup tomato sauce
Salt
Pepper
Italian seasoning
4 cups cabbage, sliced finely

1. Brown meat with onion. Drain and add all remaining ingredients except for cabbage.

2. Let simmer for 1-2 hours, until carrots and potatoes are soft. Add cabbage about 30 mins-1 hour before serving.

Makes 6-8 servings.


This recipe is being linked at the Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap.

4 comments:

  1. I was just thinking that I needed a good soup recipe with cabbage in it! Thanks. Sounds yummy... especially today, when all I feel like is sleeping and eating soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it bad that I have never bought a cabbage in my life? I am too nervous. Like lima beans. The stereotyped Ick factor has been to much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this recipe! I have a head of cabbage just sitting in the fridge and no idea what to do. I wonder if I can throw it in the crock pot and leave it while I go to work. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lucy!

    I had a few hours before I had to leave for work so I decided to just wing it and try to make this in my brand new GE skillet. So I browned the hamburger then added mushrooms to the veggies as well as green onions I had to use up. Tossed everything in the skillet and believe it or not added the entire cabbage head in there. I think it was about 6-8 cups so I had to up the stock a bit but what an amazing recipe! It has almost a sweet flavor I think from the cabbage! Yum! And being 6 months prego, I got no heartburn which I thought I might with the tomato sauce and meat. This is a winner!

    ReplyDelete