Friday, June 12, 2009

Oreo Iced Coffee

I don't drink much coffee simply because I'm not a fan of hot drinks. However, in the summer, I brew coffee almost everyday because I love me some iced coffee! Ever since I went to stay with my sister for a month when her baby was born last summer, I have not been able to get enough of this refreshing treat. But, drinking iced coffees or iced espressos from Starbucks or other coffee shops can add up quickly (both in price and in calories). So, I have started enjoying them at home.

Usually I just brew some coffee, dress it up the way I like it (a little milk, a little sugar), chill for about 30 minutes and then add ice. I chill it before adding the ice because if you add the ice to the coffee while it's hot, it will melt quickly and make your drink very watery.

Last weekend when we were at the lake, I was jonesin' for some iced coffee. The only problem was that my parents don't take sugar in their coffee and so they didn't have any with them at the boat. I don't think I could bring myself to enjoy it as much without at least a little bit of sweetener. I asked around to the neighbours but no one had any sugar or sweetener. Lucky for me, my fabulous dude saved the day and created this beauty...

Oreo Iced Coffee
1 1/2 cup hot coffee
1/2 container Oreo pudding
Ice

1. Pour coffee into a mug. Spoon pudding into coffee and stir. It will melt but will not combine completely. Place in fridge and chill for 30 minutes.

2. Add ice and enjoy!

This combination gave the drink a delicious mocha flavour but was not overly sweet and did not overpower the flavour of the coffee. It is not something I will make often because the pudding obviously adds a lot of extra calories and sugar but it was a nice refreshing treat for a warm summer day.

Head over to Cooking 4 Monkeys for other ideas for keeping cool in the heat of summer.

6 comments:

  1. I'm like you and don't enjoy hot drinks in the summer... but love them when its cold out.

    I am not completely sold on the iced coffees yet. Something about them just seems weird.. lol! But your recipe does sound good.

    Question for you... have you had Sweet Tea? I know your from Canada and I have heard a lot of people say they had no clue what Sweet Tea was. Its a nice drink for a hot summer day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. That's a really creative idea! I wonder if FF chocolate pudding would give a similar taste without the fat? But, I've never had Oreo pudding so I'm probably wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't sweet tea just regular iced tea?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think so Cristina, except in the states they make it homemade a lot more than we do here and I think they usually make it a little less sweet than what we'd buy from nestea or whatever. I think that's the only difference but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum... I bet my mom and sister would love that! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete