Monday, August 10, 2009

Hummus

One of my favourite garden season lunches is fresh, raw veggies with homemade hummus. This recipe adds a little something extra to traditional hummus.

Hummus - Lucy
4 cups cooked garbanzo beans (or two cans).
3/4 cups liquid from beans (or water if using dried beans)
1/4 cup tahini
Juice from one lemon
3-4 tsp garlic
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp soy sauce

** Feel free to cut this in half. It makes quite a bit and I usually freeze half and eat half.

1. Drain garbanzo beans, if using canned. Reserve 3/4 liquid.

2. Place all ingredients into a large bowl (or blender or food processor).

3. Blend until smooth (I used an immersion blender but a food processor would be best - sometimes I just don't want to wash all the parts).

Taste and make sure everything suits your tastes and add more spices/garlic/liquid if necessary. Enjoy with pitas and fresh veggies.

Makes 3-4 cups.

**Sorry no photos - I took some but they were all blurry.

3 comments:

  1. I LOOOOOVE hummus!! I spread it on my cukes. But it's so expensive, I'm going to have to try this recipe instead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had hummus before, but I've never tried making it. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I wonder if I could get my boys to eat it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw this--I've been looing for a simple recipe for hummus--I need to add these things to my grocery list and try this soon!

    ReplyDelete