A new and delicious way for us to enjoy summer squash from the garden.
Summer Squash Patties - modified from here
3 cups shredded summer squash
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/8 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
2. Heat olive oil in a frying pan.
3. Form squash mixture into patties and place in pan. (I tried using my handy dandy hamburger patty maker but it wasn't worth it because they just fell apart). Flatten patties with a spatula and push mixture together to keep them whole. My first few rounds fell apart but I got the hang of it as I went.
4. Cook for 3-4 minutes until brown and crispy. Flip. Repeat.
5. Remove from pan. Placed cooked patties in a pan in a warm oven while you cook the remaining patties.
Serve with sour cream, red pepper relish and/or applesauce. The red pepper relish and sour cream was my favourite. Alternatively, you could add some Parmesan cheese to the mixture.
Makes 8-10 patties.