Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Summer Squash Patties

A new and delicious way for us to enjoy summer squash from the garden.

Summer Squash Patties - modified from here
3 cups shredded summer squash
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/8 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Olive oil

1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.

2. Heat olive oil in a frying pan.

3. Form squash mixture into patties and place in pan. (I tried using my handy dandy hamburger patty maker but it wasn't worth it because they just fell apart). Flatten patties with a spatula and push mixture together to keep them whole. My first few rounds fell apart but I got the hang of it as I went.

4. Cook for 3-4 minutes until brown and crispy. Flip. Repeat.

5. Remove from pan. Placed cooked patties in a pan in a warm oven while you cook the remaining patties.

Serve with sour cream, red pepper relish and/or applesauce. The red pepper relish and sour cream was my favourite. Alternatively, you could add some Parmesan cheese to the mixture.

Makes 8-10 patties.

4 comments:

  1. yummy! we make zucchini pancakes and tuna-zucchini burgers, but these are so different from them and look amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. how interesting....
    We LOVE summer squash, but I've never thought of using it like this. Might have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound good. We love squash at our house. Thanks for sharing,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. my mom makes these all the times, they are so good!

    ReplyDelete