Monday, April 6, 2009

Chunky Chili Cornbread

I made this bread last week to serve with chili. It was yummy although it was not your typical cornbread. In fact, had I not known it was cornbread, I don't think I would have guessed it. It was slightly more dense than a regular loaf of bread and it was quite flavourful. If I was not expecting it to taste like the cornbread I'm used to, I think I would have been very impressed with the outcome.

Chunky Chili Cornbread - modified from America's Best Bread Machine Baking Recipes
1 1/4 cups warm water
1 egg (I used egg substitute)
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp salt
3 1/3 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup skim milk powder
1/3 cup cornmeal
2/3 cup thawed corn kernels
1 1/2 tsp crushed red chili peppers
1 tsp yeast

1. Add ingredients to bread machine in order suggested by your manufacturer. The order I have listed is the order I added them.


2. Select basic cycle. Press start. The end.

Like I said, the loaf turned out quite nicely, although I would exactly call it cornbread. Instead, I would call it bread with corn in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment