I have been busy lately and am finally back with a recipe to post. I have a few saved up that I'm getting ready to share with you. Over the next few weeks/months, I'll be posting a lot about the foods that I am preserving. Since this is my first preserves post, I thought it was fitting that the theme for the ultimate recipe swap is 'make ahead food'. Although this is not a meal in itself, it is definitely something to be made ahead and saved for future use.
Peach and Plum Marmalade
4 cups finely chopped peaches and plums (I used about half and half, with a few more plums than peaches - about 15 small plums and 4 large peaches)
1.5 cups sugar
1 package No Cook Freezer Jam gelling powder
1. Chop fruit very finely. Place in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add sugar. Gently stir and let sit for 15 minutes. It will become syrupy.
3. Sprinkle gelling powder a little at a time over fruit mixture, stirring constantly, for three minutes.
4. Allow to stand for 5 minutes.
5. Stir for one minute more.
7. Pour jam into clean, dry sealing jars or plastic containers. Leave 1 inch head space. Seal tightly. Put in the fridge to be used within 6 weeks, or freeze for up to one year.
The jam is ready to eat right away it does not need any standing time. I don't even like jam, but I know people who do, and they tell me that this jam is A-okay. It's a bit on the chunky monkey side, so next time I think I would use the food processor to chop it even smaller, or perhaps even puree it, despite the instructions not to.
Makes 2 1/2 pints.
This recipe is being shared at the Ultimate Recipe Swap.