This week's chef for the Food Network Chef's Cooking Challenge was Emeril. I wish Emeril had come at a different week because there were so many recipes of his that I would have liked to try, but I had to find something that would fit into my weekend menu because I knew I was leaving for holidays and I wouldn't be doing much cooking. I ended up finding this recipe for herb roasted chicken and decided to make it for our Christmas dinner.
I am sure Emeril would be disappointed because I used dried herbs rather than fresh. But I had to. It would have been a huge waste to buy fresh herbs, knowing that I was leaving for holidays and wouldn't get a chance to use them up.
The chicken was very flavourful and tasty. However, we didn't really feel like it fit in with our Christmas dinner - the taste just didn't meld well with the gravy, stuffing and other fixin's. But definitely a good chicken rub to try another time when we're making some roasted root veggies on the side (as Emeril recommends).
Herb Roasted Chicken - From Emeril
1 small chicken (or a variety of chicken pieces)
1 T minced garlic
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried sage
2 tsp dried parsley
1/4 Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Wash chicken and pat dry. Place in small roast pan.
2. Season with salt and pepper on both sides (or inside and outside of cavity if using a whole chicken).
3. In a small bowl, mix together garlic, thyme, sage, parsley and EVOO.
4. Rub all over chicken (inside and out).
5. Cut lemon in quarters. Squeeze over chicken and place rinds inside (or around chicken). Place bay leaves in as well.
6. Cover and roast at 350 for about an hour, until chicken is no longer pink.